To make rabbit stock and cook the rabbit meat:
In a very large crock pot…
1-2 rabbit carcasses
3 celery stalks
4-6 bay leaves
2 tsp sage
2 tsp thyme
6 whole peppercorns
6 whole cloves
1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar (helps leach out marrow)
1 tsp lemon juice (helps leach out marrow)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp tumeric (anti-inflammatory properties)
4 inches kombu seaweed *
* Kombu is known for reducing blood cholesterol and hypertension. It is high in iodine, which is essential for thyroid functioning; iron, which helps carry oxygen to the cells; calcium, which builds bones and teeth; as well as vitamins A and C, which support eyes and immunity, respectively.
Wash carrot and celery, peel the onion and cut vegetables into large pieces
Put all ingredients into the crock pot
Fill with water up to 1 inch from the top
Cook on low in crock pot for 48 hours (add water as necessary to keep water level at 1 inch from the top)
Pour through sieve
Pick the meat off the bones
Note: don't forget the rabbit liver, heart, & kidneys while making the broth. Puree the liver in a bit of broth after cooked and add back to the stock.
OPTIONAL: cook brown or wild rice rice and serve stew over rice in a bowl.
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 3 small onions with greens from garden)
- 3-5 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red hot pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large tomato (2 Cups worth) - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 6 cups rabbit stock (I added 1 tsp of Better than Bouillon chicken stock paste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 rabbit’s worth of meat cubed
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 C cooked brown rice or wild rice
- Make rabbit broth and pick meat off bones.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, red pepper and hot pepper to the skillet; cook and stir until onion is transparent. Transfer to the pot.
- Add the tomatoes, rabbit meat, rabbit stock, salt and pepper to the pot, and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Cook, stirring gently, until heated through. Serve with fresh warm bread or over quinoa or brown rice.