Butter Chicken or what I call “Indian Chicken Stew”
Directions for the Crock Pot or Instant Pot
Recipe tweaked from myheartbeets.com. I just changed a few things to keep veggies crisp tender and serve a larger crowd (or have leftovers).
I serve this in bowls over brown rice like a thick stew.
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into large bite sized pieces
2-3 Tablespoons butter or fat of your choice
2 onions diced
10 garlic cloves, minced
2 inch knob ginger, minced
3 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons coriander powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne (depending on how hot you like it)
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
30-40 oz tomato sauce (can use 30 oz if you like it thicker or 40 oz if you like it saucy)
2 green bell peppers, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 bunch of broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
14-16 oz coconut cream (not coconut milk)
Directions for Instant Pot
1. Press “Saute”, add butter and onions, stir fry until onions begin to brown (5-10 min)
2. Add garlic and ginger, stir fry for 30 seconds
3. Add all the spices, then chicken and mix until well combined. Stir for 4-5 min to sear the chicken. Be careful not to burn anything on the bottom.
4. Add tomato sauce, stir, cover and lock the lid.
5. Press “Keep Warm/Cancel”
6. Make sure the steam valve is closed
7. Press “Poultry” and + button till “30” appears
8. Once the chicken is done, the instant pot will automatically switch to the “keep warm” mode. Allow the pressure to release naturally or use the quick release. If you unplug the instant pot, the pressure releases faster naturally.
9. Unlock lid, stir in the broccoli and bell peppers quickly and shut lid again, press “keep warm”, keep steam valve closed and leave the veggies cook for 10 minutes. This keeps them crisp tender.
10. Open, stir in coconut cream
11. Serve in bowls over brown rice.
Directions for Crock Pot
Put all “first ingredients” in crock pot and stir well.
Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours
Add peppers and broccoli the last 30 minutes of cooking
Stir in coconut cream
Serve in bowls over brown rice