From Tea with Michelle Duggar
I just finished listening to this DVD and here are the notes I wrote down... the things that pricked my heart and I want to remember.
The person that praises your child will have their heart.
If you are a perfectionist lay it aside because children grow when they are praised.
Overlook mistakes and find something to praise (for example when a toilet is half clean, praise the part that is clean).
Say to your children, “there is no one else in the world that I would rather be with than you.”
Question: How do you encourage a lazy child?
Answer: Praise them for not being lazy… praise them for being diligent and point our ways they are diligent.
Thank your kids constantly for the things they do well and the ways they help around the house.
Take one child with you when you run errands to get time alone with that child. While they are with you ask them:
- How are you really doing?
- What is going on in your life?
- What is on your heart?
- Is there something in your mind or on your heart that has been bothering you that you haven’t had time to tell me yet?
- Is there a secret / something that you need to tell me that you haven’t had time to tell me yet?
- Thank you for telling me that! Praise them in thanks… I know that wasn’t easy, but I am really thankful you shared that with me.
- How can I pray for you?